Levels are gained by gaining experience within the game. There is no visible experience bar in the game. It's thought that almost everything done within the game counts towards this although only the following are known.
- Attacking and leaving (see this as 100% xp gain) another player on the street. A higher levelled victim will yield more experience.
- Mugging another player. Gives less experience (gives 55-60% xp, in comparison to leaving.) than simply leaving.
- Hospitalising another player. Gives less experience(gives 40% xp, also in comparison to leaving) than mugging.
- Committing crimes.
- Training in the gym.
- Working at a job/gaining work stats.
- Company specials (trade job points for experience); clothing store, night club, hair salon, lingerie store, theatre.
- Reaching level 5 in Torn Lite on Facebook.
- Easter Egg Hunt - finding a pink egg.
Anything else is unknown whether it gives experience or not; this includes busting, gambling, flying, racing etc.
When enough experience is gained to upgrade level an [upgrade] link will appear beside your level, click it to level up! Some players choose to 'level hold' and not upgrade their level, mostly to trick other players into underestimating their strength. When level holding a player will continue to gain experience and so is able to upgrade multiple levels at once, if you want to know the true level (the level they could be on) of a level holder you can use the 10* special of a candle shop.
The only way to view how close you are to levelling up it by travelling to China and using the fortune teller who will tell you a percentage of your progress to the next level. This costs $75,000.
The Hall of Fame in the newspaper and on the sidebar has a section dedicated to levels. You can view the 20 highest levelled players in the game, as well as seeing your ranking compared to all other players.
Certain areas and abilities are unlocked through levelling.
|2||Searching the dump ability|
|4||Unlock Blackjack in the casino.|
|5|| Able to use auction house.
Unlock the ability to do missions beyond george's.
|6||Able to play Russian Roulette.|
|7||Able to play Spin The Wheel.|
|10|| Use the Loan Shark.
Be the Director of a Company.
Submit comics to the newspaper.
|13||Able to play Poker.|
|15||Unlock Travel agency.|