City Jail is where you go when you get caught by violation city law and enter into conflict with police.
The following actions will send you to jail:
- Failing a Crime- (getting a red result) this will result in jail time and a loss of crime experience.
- Failing a Bust
- Holiday events, such as Christmas events also send you to jail.
There is a massive difference in jail time, it can range from ten minutes to over several hours.
Whilst in the city jail you have restricted access to the game until you escape or are busted out. You are prevented from training your dexterity within the city jail as you used to be able to gain dexterity experience via self busting (this has since been removed).
Busting is an attempt to free an imprisoned person from the Jail by someone outside. The only important factor while doing this is your dexterity, which increases your chance of success. Other than your dexterity you also have the pertinent special in your faction which increases your busting skill with 10% every upgrade. Every bust attempt costs 5 nerve.
If you fail to bust someone, you will find yourself in Jail for around 1h - 1h 45mins.
The easiest inmates to break out are the ones that meet any of the follow conditions:
- Lower level
- Short amount of jail time left
- Sentenced for failed bust or self-bust
There needs to be a ten minute break between each bust chain. Let's assume that your maximum busts in a row are 3 (can be increased with cannabis) usually on the fourth you are sent to jail. It is advised that you wait at least ten minutes before attempting to bust someone again.
- You can figure out your maximum bust chain by busting a few people in a row and seeing when you get sent to jail.
Attempting a self bust will cost half of your max nerve bar (rounded up) and can only be done if your Jail time is lower than 200 minutes. Once again, only dexterity can help here.
- Completing the LAW2980 education reduces the self bail nerve requirement from one half to one third.
Failure when self busting will add to your Jail time.
- Self busting used to grant dexterity experience, this has since been removed by an update.
If you do not have enough dexterity then you have another option which is to bail a user out of jail, the cost of bailing someone is"
- (25 * remaining Jail time in minutes * inmate level).
You are able to buy yourself out of prison by the completion of
- There is a honour bar gained for bailing 500 people. (This doesn't include self bails)
You can improve your break out ability by:
- Participating in law education courses.
- reduce the chance of being caught when trying to escape from Jail and amount of Nerve required to escape from Jail.
- give the ability to buy yourself out of Jail.
- give a total 15% bonus to your skill in Busting and the same discount when buying people out of Jail.
- Bachelor of Law makes busting 50% easier and buying out 50% cheaper.
- Training your dexterity.
- By acquiring a Lawyer Business Card. It also available via the stock benefit and it's reusable.
- You can receive 7 Medals and 3 Honors for successful busts and 1 Honor for 500 bails.
- Earlier, training defence in Jail gym gave better gains, but this effect was removed after introducing new gym system.
- Self busting used to give a free boost to your dexterity (0.1% of current stat). This was later changed to 0.05%, before being removed.
- Rumours say that busting gives good crime experience and zero loss in the case of fail, but opinions about this trait are divided. You can check this picture from Link's  thread about Political assassinations available here for research about it (unfortunately, thread is graved).
Articles Relating to City Locations