Thread created on Tue Mar 03, 2009 19:25:36 Last replied to on Sun Jan 31, 2010 00:51:56
The stock market changes have now been released. It will require tweaking over the next couple of days, but other than that we are very happy with the outcome.
- Users have to now trade shares with each other, not directly back to Torn City. There are however NPCs who buy shares occasionally based on certain odds and stock traits.
- Users can now sell shares on a market. It is not a viewable market, buying and selling works the way it used to, but transactions are between users, not User > Torn City. All transactions are anonymous.
- 6 hour stay-in rule is now removed, since there is no need any more.
- Stocks have been changed to go up and down more, and have huge spikes. Each of the stocks now have more individual character.
- Some stocks now go up and down based on what happens in Torn City. For example, BAG (Big als Gun Shop Stock) goes up and down depending on how many people buy guns. TCHS goes up and down depending on how many people are in hospital over time. And many more.
- Stocks now have forecasts. Forecasts range from Very Good to Very poor which can be used as an indication of how much the stock will go up/down for the next few days / weeks. This may not always be correct.
- Shares have been placed in to the stock market via NPCs, these shares can then be purchased by users and traded amongst other users. There are only a certain amount of shares available in each stock, but if some stocks become very popular, we can easily add more shares.
- A demand structure has been added. If shares are for sale for long periods of a certain stock (if no one wants to buy the stock) the price will gradually fall. If lots of people want to buy the stock but there arent any sellers, prices will gradually rise. Basically, user demand for stocks affect stock price.
- Users are now able to purchase shares in the TCSE as a whole, not individual stocks. Buying and selling of this will be much quicker, but there wont be many large gains/falls. A good place for people to dabble in the stock market quickly and easily, and relatively safely.
- Users can also trade stock transactions with each other, for whatever prices they want.
There are also other changes to come, bank interest will be changed shortly to give us more control over the economy, company taxes may also be introduced.
If we lose money gambling would it affect LSC positively?
Edit 1: Also, the trade feature for shares has a little mistake. When we click Add shares it takes you to the screen showing you what shares you want to add to the trade. When we add the shares to the trade, it shows that the shares are of a different value to what we just saw in the list that shows the shares we have.
Both these total share values are different to what it shows on our portfolios. My guess is that you haven't taken decimals into account or you have taken decimals into account differently for the trade shares feature
Edit 2: Can we have a confirmation screen to sell shares? I hit sell shares to see if any fun thing shows up and it just said that my shares were put up on the market. Can we also have the option take our shares off the market after putting them up for sale?
if I want to sell a stock I have long term benefits for, do I lose the benefit when the shares are listed or sold?
if it's based on when they're sold, can I only sell off a portion and keep the benefit? my MCS is worth 881mil, but I only need 350mil for the benefit... say I list it, and am able to sell off 400mil worth, can I then remove the shares, and keep the benefit?
Buying bulk Boxes of Grenades 1mil each - Just start trade for fast sale
By Chedburn 
There are also other changes to come, bank interest will be changed shortly to give us more control over the economy, company taxes may also be introduced. Edited by: Chedburn on 03/03/09 at 7:26:36 PM
interest changes? whoa hold it! its hard enough to make money unless you already have it. but if you cut the interest rates you will lose a lot of people. now putting caps on how much is invested. so like if you invest 100 million you get a lower rate than if you invest 20. that makes sense.
you want to 'control' the economy. but youre going to make it so rich players and older players have MASSIVE advantages over everyone else.
in order to increase/decrease value and stick to the realism theme, will stocks split, fold, or half in size to take shares out of the hands or to increase the amount of shares in the market.
I had asked this in the suggestions topic a few weeks ago to find no answer, just curious...seems it would be valuable for couple reasons, will help regulate the price a little and will also allow for much more growth as the game grows...if you think the stock is growing to fast, the company can go 2 for 3 split taking a third of the shares out of the market
Splits in real markets don't work like that. They are not to take shares out of the market. The are just stock repricing.
Example one share is worth $100 it splits 2 to 1 and you find yourself with double as many shares worth $50 each... simple repricing